Cedar Crest was designed by the old master A. W. Tillinghast whose work included Baltusrol, Winged Foot, and Bethpage. The course was originally a private club which opened in 1919, and was the site of the 1927 PGA championship won by Walter Hagen. The City of Dallas purchased Cedar Crest in 1946 and hired D. A. Weibring to renovate the course in 2004 by re-grassing the fairways, greens, and tees with hybrid Bermuda turf and adding new sand bunkers.
The course is routed over rolling land with mature trees throughout with nine holes as doglegs adding to the variety. Water can come into play on 10 holes, the greens are small, moderately fast and are somewhat elevated, and there's only 36 bunkers mostly guarding the greens. Par is 71 with 6 par 3's and 5 par 5's, and the course measures 6,532 with a 132 slope from the tips.